People with bright, white teeth tend to show off their smile compared to others with discolored teeth. Tooth discoloration is a process that occurs over time for a variety of reasons. The most common cause if stains that form on the outside of the tooth’s surface. As the stains form, they also cause the enamel layer to slowly erode away, causing the dentin layer to be exposed.
Dentin is part of the tooth’s structure and is yellow. If you teeth are yellowing, this means the dentin layer is exposed. As teeth turn yellow, it can keep you and others, from smiling as often. Fortunately, yellow colored teeth can be whitened at our dental office.
Whitening should began after a dental checkup and teeth cleaning. You want to make sure plaque and tartar are fully removed first. After your cleaning, then your teeth can be whitened with our professional whitening treatments. It is easy to get the bright, white teeth your desire and most treatments only take about an hour to complete.
Now that you have whitened your teeth, how can you keep them looking great in between visits to your dentist? Check out the following tips.
1. Practice good oral hygiene habits. You want to brush your teeth twice a day and floss once a day. It can be challenging to do so, but maintaining this schedule will also help keep your teeth white as it helps reduce the amount of staining and plaque buildup on the teeth. Good oral hygiene habits also include bi-annual visits to Kennedy Square Dental to have your teeth professional cleaned.
2. Eat more vegetables and fruits. Eating a well-balanced and healthy diet provides additional benefits that extend to our teeth and gums. There are a variety of foods that naturally help whiten the teeth or protect them against staining. For example, strawberries can help whiten teeth because this fruit contain malic acid. Eating broccoli helps protect against staining because it contains iron.
3. Be aware of foods and beverages that can cause staining. Tomatoes, blueberries, coffee, tea, and even red wine can all cause staining on the teeth. This does not mean you cannot enjoy these types of foods or beverages. Just try to limit how often you have these things and always brush your teeth afterwards to help prevent stains from setting into the teeth.
4. Quit using tobacco products. Tobacco can stain the teeth and leave deposits on them. If you can quit, not only will your teeth stay whiter longer, you are also improving your overall health and well-being.
5. Make other cosmetic improvements like getting veneers. You can correct other imperfections with your teeth with veneers. They will cover up cracks, chips, misshapen teeth and gaps in between teeth.
If you have further questions about teeth whitening or other cosmetic improvements you can make to give you that bright, white, stunning smile you have always dreamed about, please feel free to contact Kennedy Square Dental at (905) 789-7339 to schedule an appointment today!