Have you ever noticed how clean your teeth feel after a cleaning during a regular checkup visit at our dental clinic? Many people inquire about how they can maintain this feeling for an extended period of time in between their scheduled visits. We are happy to offering the following advice and tips on how you can do this at home.
1. Brush your teeth twice a day for at least two minutes each time. You need to brush each quadrant of the teeth – upper left, lower left, upper right, lower right – and the front teeth for about 30 seconds each to remove food particles, plaque and bacteria. Remember to also brush the back of the teeth too! It is also helpful to brush your tongue.
2. Floss at least once a day before going to sleep. Part of your nighttime oral care should include brushing for at least two minutes and flossing your teeth. Flossing helps remove trapped food particles, bacteria, and plaque from in between the teeth. Most people are surprised by just how much “stuff” can get in between their teeth when they start flossing on a daily basis.
3. Use a mouthwash rinse that is recommended by your dentist. Mouthwash rinses not only help freshen your breath but also help kill the germs and bacteria that cause gum disease. Some brands even help limit how much plaque accumulates on the teeth throughout the day.
4. Drink plenty of water and forego sugary sodas. Keep your mouth, teeth and gums moistened by drinking plenty of fresh water every day. Plus, water helps rinse away bacteria and food particles before it starts to turn into plaque.
5. Limit the amount of caffeine you drink. If you like coffee or tea, be mindful of how much you actually drink each day. Caffeine can cause the mouth to dry out making it easier for plaque to harden and turn into tartar, a hard substance that can only be removed by your dental hygienist during your regular teeth cleanings.
6. Adjust your oral care habits to fit your specific needs. If you wear braces, use Invisalign, or have other dental issues, you will need to modify your oral care habits to maintain dentist-like clean teeth. For instance, with braces and Invisalign, it is highly recommended to brush and floss after eating and snacking.
7. Limit the number of snack foods, candy, and sugary treats you eat. These types of snacks increase the amount of sugar in the mouth. Sugar can feed the bacteria that creates plaque and causes tooth decay. Instead of these things eat apple slices, sliced carrots, or other fresh fruit and vegetables or even a handful of almonds or peanuts.
Remember, you are always free to have your teeth cleaned every four months to make maintaining dentist-like clean teeth at home even easier. Call Kennedy Square Dental at (905) 789-7339 to schedule a cleaning appointment today!